Carpenter L-605 alloy is a nonmagnetic, chromium-nickel-tungsten-cobalt alloy possessing good oxidation and corrosion resistance as well as high strength properties at elevated temperatures. Although the aging response of L-605 is considered minimal when compared to typical age hardening alloys, it may be used in the cold worked and aged condition in certain instances. L-605 is generally melted using vacuum induction melting (VIM), followed by electroslag remelting (ESR). The finished mill product is supplied in the solution annealed or cold worked condition, depending on section size and application.
Typical applications for this alloy have included: Gas turbine rotors, Nozzle diaphragm valves, Springs, Bone drill bits, Heart valves.
Chemical Composition (%)
Mean Specific Heat
70 to 600°F 7.61 x 10-6 in/in/°F
70°F 88.00 BTU-in/hr/ft2/°F
Modulus of Elasticity (E)
70°F 35.3 x 103 ksi
Modulus of Rigidity (G)
-12.6 x 103 ksi
-2570 to 2620 °F
nonmagnetic in all conditions
L-605 should be annealed at 2150/2250°F (1175/1230°C) for not less than 15 minutes, followed by water quenching or air cooling depending on section size. Typical annealed hardness is 20 HRC.
1. Hot Working L-605 should be forged from approximately 2150°F (1177°C). Below 1850°F (1010°C) this alloy is difficult to hot work. The rate of cooling from the hot working or hot forging operation is not critical -air cooling is generally employed.
2. Cold Working The strength levels developed by L-605 are primarily the result of cold working. Cold working can be accomplished by drawing, extruding, forging, swaging or a combination of these methods.The work hardening rate of this alloy is extremely high. Total cold work reduction generally should not exceed 40%.
L-605 is machinable using conventional techniques; however, cobalt grades of high-speed steel or carbide tools combined with rigid machine setups are recommended. L-605 is more difficult to machine than the austenitic stainless steels (i.e. Types 302, 304, 321, and 347 stainless). Generally, lower feeds, speeds and depths of cut are suggested. A very high work hardening rate, generation of heat during cutting and high shear strength complicate machining.
Bar-Rounds /Billet /Wire /Wire-Rod.
1. Sheet---Thickness 0.10mm~0.50mm,width10.0~210.0mm, Condition:cold rolled,bright
2. Plate---Thickness 3.5~40.0mm,width≤300mm, Condition:cold rolled,hot rolled
3. Bar---Dia 8.0mm~Dia 32.0mm,length≤2000mm, Condition:hot rolled,burnished Dia 32.0mm~Dia 150.0mm,length:≤1000mm, Condition:hot forging,peeled,turned
1. HIGH-QULITY PRODUCT
· ISO9001:2008 International Quality System Certification.
· With advanced equipment: VIMF, Induction Furnace, ESR Furnace etc.
· Strict Quality-testing System.
2. STRONG R & D STRENGTH
· 40,000㎡ production base.
· 60+ R & D team members, with rich customization experience.
· A good assortment of alloy to choose.
3. EFFICIENT DELIVERY
· Flexible transport means, very convenient.
· Tailor a suitable transport plan.
4. GOOD SERVICE
· We provide online service, information feedback within 24 hours.
· Professional team to provide remote technical advice and guidance.
HANNSTAR INDUSTRY Co., Ltd.
TEL& WhatsApp: +86-189-6300-9158
Add.: Dongying City, Shandong Province, China